Travel Book Seoul
In Travel Book Seoul, creatives Mayumi Otero and Raphaël Urwiller distill the essence of South Korea's largest city in an exclusive run of 30 leather-bound tomes. These artists are at the helm of Icinori, a studio consisting of designers, publishers, screen printers and more. During their expedition to the Land of the Morning Calm, they experienced the traditions, heritage and day-to-day ongoings of the people who call it their home. Through Travel Book Seoul, Icinori conveys the many aspects of this hedonistic destination, from the citizens' routines to the plastic surgery studios. They also celebrate the tradespeople, shops and street food that seem to stake a claim to every corner of the city. According to the artists, "Seoul is an organic city, with astonishing creative energy and great visual elegance, as seen in its powerful design and sophisticated signage. Good taste is everywhere, sometimes a bit crazy, but universal. It is a mix of the baroque and the modern." Every large-format Seoul Travel Book is signed by Otero and Urwiller and is given its own individual number. Each also comes with a lithograph crafted by Icinori, a studio established when the artists were pupils at Strasbourg's Ecole Supérieure des Arts Décoratifs in 2007. In the following years, they journeyed, witnessed, sketched and collected artefacts with the immaculate sense of precision that led to their success. Between them, the pair have published approximately 30 publications and graced the pages of esteemed media such as Le Monde, The New York Times, Les Inrockuptibles, The New Yorker and Forbes. Louis Vuitton Travel Books draw readers into both imaginary and real-life journeys. They feature art by established as well as up-and-coming creatives who reveal the tales of the destinations they have explored. The creativity displayed in each publication is extremely varied: in the midst of their journeys, these global artists select their own means of communication, whether through manga, collage or illustration.
- 27 x 19 cm/11 x 7.5 inches
- 160 pages
- Trilingual edition in French, English and Korean
- 100-120 exclusive drawings, the artists' biography and travelogue
- Silkscreen-printed cloth binding, bookmark
- To mark the opening of Louis Vuitton Maison Seoul, the House has worked with Google to use Google Lens, a new way to search what you see using your smartphone camera, to bring this Travel Book to life by connecting immersive digital content to the physical images on the pages. Marking one of the first Google Lens experiences in the world of literature, Icinori’s Louis Vuitton Travel Book Seoul turns into a veritable interactive travel experience.
- By connecting immersive digital content to physical images on paper, the Google Lens technology brings the Louis Vuitton Travel Book Seoul to life in an entirely new way. How to use Google Lens with the Louis Vuitton Travel Book Seoul:
- 1. Download the Google Lens app from the Google Play Store (Android) or the Google app from the App Store (iOS)
- 2. Open Lens (Android) or open the Google app and tap the Lens logo on the right (iOS)
- 3. Point the camera at one of the five images above of the Travel Book Seoul and wait until it comes alive: Front Cover, Character Gallery, Bulgogi, Printers, Louis Vuitton Maison Seoul by Frank Gehry.