Featuring a remarkable collection of the house’s archive trunks, it acknowledges Louis Vuitton’s history with London that began when Georges Vuitton opened his first London store on March 1st 1885. Located on 289 Oxford street it was the first international store outside of France.
Proud of his family’s heritage and keen to promote both his design skills and France’s influence abroad he incorporated the French tricolour flag in his signage. He placed a similar sign in a display window of his London store, along with one of the Vuitton trunk-beds that French officers took on their missions overseas, kickstarting the idea of whimsical window dressing.
In 1889, Georges opened a new store opposite Charing Cross, one of London’s main railway stations. Later in 1900, to reflect the sophistication of the house’s designs, Georges decided to relocate to the heart of London’s luxury goods district, at 149 New Bond Street, close to where the current store currently stands today.